I'm very excited to announce my first Crafty Chica Online Workshop! I'll be doing these throughout the year and will rotate the topics. For my first offering, I'm going with something everyone can use - PUBLICITY! This is an awesome class for artists, authors, small business owners, musicians and more. This is for people like ME who can't afford to hire a PR person, but who have the chops to DIY it. This four-week class is intensive, LOTS of information, videos, worksheets, homework, live chats. This class is $125, but I have a little celebratory kick off price for the next 48 hours. See below...
Working with the press has been the backbone of my career for the past 25 years, and it's been in all different capacities!
- I started in PR and earned my AA in Advertising and Marketing. I went on to be a public relations clerk, and then an event and PR coordinator for a chain of restaurants.
- I then went to work for a major daily Arizona newspaper for 13 years and earned my BA in Business. The first half of my paper gig, I worked as a clerk coordinating listings, sorting through thousands of pieces of mail and press releases, finding captivating topics for photo shoots, working hard on small stories and features to groom me to become a reporter. I finally did become a reporter! I spent many years conducting interviews, searching for the cream of the crop of interesting people to write about. I worked with companies big and small and was always amazed - or unimpressed - by their publicity tactics. I pulled out the best of all my experience and used it for CraftyChica.com!
This is a course I know I was meant to teach. In fact, I taught this class at an art retreat a few years back to a sold-out room. I still hear from many of those students about how much they appreciated all the tips I offered. It took a lot out of me energy wise, and I haven't taught it since - until now!
Here are 'brief' summaries of what we'll cover:
WEEK 1: The Foundation of You: Becoming Newsworthy. Exercises in writing a compelling bio, organizing your web site, blogging tips, mission statement, taglines, finding specific gems in your business that you can market, energizing your platform, being alluring, and much more.
WEEK 2: Crafting the Perfect Pitch. From one-sheets to elevator pitches, I'll share what has worked for me, along with tips for testimonials, keeping your vibe fresh, working with local media, booking events and appearances, media tools, editorial packages for your blog or design themes, trending. It's all about "the hook" and you'll learn the art of it!
WEEK 3: Writing a Press Release and contact letters. By this time, you'll know who you want to market to and what your story angles are. You'll learn the old school style of releases, as well as the new and create a mash-up between the two that is tailored to your brand and business. You'll learn the do's and don'ts of these, as well as cover letters and contacting editors and producers by email.
WEEK 4: Spreading the word and following up! This is where we put it all together! I'll show you all the different techniques for getting the word out, following up, sending swag, press invites, the right and wrong way to send packages, blog hops, submitting to big sites, cross promoting, networking online and in person, working with sponsors, pitching to networks, SEO, writing good blog headlines, keywords, tips for viral marketing, look books and press kits.
This is basically a huge live-action Artist's Publicity 101 book!
What to expect:
- We'll have a private classroom at http://craftychica.ning.com. Students will have access to all the content for three-months, 24-7.
- Work at your own pace! Once you register, you can check in every week to participate in all the offerings, or up to three months later.
- You will have optional downloadable homework each week - it will be your time to really concentrate and focus on your brand and where you want to go. You can keep it personal or have me look at it to help with ideas for you.
- My original brand strategy downloadable worksheets that you can fill out at your leisure. These date back to my early days when I launched Crafty Chica, and flow through to present day.
- Directions for making an artful publicity binder to hold all your lesson plans.
- Downloadable weekly lesson plans.
- Photo gallery of ideas and inspirations.
- Weekly online chat on my Ustream channel. This is where I'll go over live examples, your work (those who say it's ok!) and I'll answer questions that you have. Chat transcripts will be available.
- Daily motivational tips throughout the course.
- Discussion forum.
- Keep in mind, all of these things worked for me and they can help you too. As with everything, everyone will have different results. It's like a glitter recipe - there is no way to duplicate the formula. But working every angle will certainly increase your results! Please see workshop policies here.
PRICE: This class is $125.00
but I'm running a discount price of $99.00 from now through NOON PT, Friday, May 20th, 2011.
After that, the price will go to $125.00. Credit and debit card payments accepted through PayPal below. Thanks!
Check out my new novel! MISS SCARLET'S SCHOOL OF PATTERNLESS SEWING